Sunday 16 January 2011

A marathon a week, every week for a year

A marathon a week, every week for a year...If someone had put it in those terms originally I have to be honest, I probably would never have even attempted this challenge!

However here I am almost 4 weeks in ( for those of you who don't know impatience got the better of me , i'm doing it 21.12.10 to 21.12.11) and I am doing it! I'm on track to complete my target of 155km. I started the challenge hoping I would manage half of that in the first month, then gradually build it up from there. It seems I am more capable,determined and fitter than I thought. I wouldn't have classed myself as a couch potato , but I'm certainly no athlete. I've always done some sort of regular exercise, but never pushed myself like this before. Going public, has helped enormously, I've had such overwhelming support already in terms of both donations and good luck messages, both of which are equally important to me. Knowing that people believe in me and want me to succeed is going to carry me through.


This challenge isn't about weight/inch loss, though I will be happy for it to be a by-product, and already I'm noticing changes in the shape of my body. I've lost a little from the tops of my arms and my thighs and my tummy feels flatter. I'm yet to pluck up the courage to re-weigh myself but will aim to be brave and do so this week. Perhaps more importantly than the physical changes, I think there has been a shift in my mental attitude. This challenge is making me realise what you can achieve if you really set your mind to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment