Wednesday 2 February 2011

From the treadmill

Obviously for safety reasons I'm not actually writing this whilst on the treadmill, that really would be a recipe for disaster!
The gym has become my second home though, and hours every week are being spent running, cycling and swimming, which gives me hours to think and at the same time not think. I realise on the face of it that doesn't make sense. I find whilst I'm exercising I can switch off to a lot of the stuff that usually fills my head- work, homelife,family, endless to-do lists etc which is great. It's almost like meditation in motion I suppose.The repetitive physical actions seem to quieten my brain, and quite frankly I'm the kind of person that needs as much help as I can get with that!
Whilst exercising, my thought processes instead of being a noisy, colourful jumble of ideas, concerns and must-dos all vying for attention, become, calmer and more reflective.Thoughts pop into my head but I'm able to acknowledge them, then let them go rather than get caught up in a mental discussion.I am able to focus on the task in hand, without worrying about what I should be doing next.What it allows me to do is live in the moment. To be truly present.

1 comment:

  1. That is why I like to go to the gym as well. It gives me some 'me' time, t
    A time when I can forget everything for a while.

    ReplyDelete